Cycling the Vía Verde del Noroeste. Mar Menor, Murcia, Spain
Discover all the diversity of the Region of Murcia and Costa Calida in 9 days: from the Bullas vineyards to the Holy Town of Caravaca de la Cruz, you will end your trip on the coast of Mar Menor, one of the biggest coastal lagoons in Southern Europe.
*Base price for a double room in low season. Please ask for a detailed offer down in “BOOK NOW”.
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Cycling Style Holiday TypeMixed
Activity Level Moderate
Self-guided Cycling Tour
Departure days: Everyday
Duration: 8 days – 9 nights
From the Holy Town of Caravaca de la Cruz to the beaches of Mar Menor, passing the vineyards in Bullas and the Northwestern Rail Trail (Vía Verde del Noroeste), this 9-day trip will let you discover the wide variety of landscapes and villages of the Region of Murcia. Heritage, culture, relaxation and local cuisine will mix along the journey on calm local roads, seaside promenades and the Northwestern Rail Trail. On the last days, you will enjoy a lovely cruise on a ship that goes all around Mar Menor, the largest coastal lagoon in southern Europe. You will also be stunned by the calmness of the Regional Salt Lake and Sand Park in San Pedro del Pinatar.
- The orchards and the heritage of Murcia
- The walk along the vineyards in Bullas
- The visit to the Vera Cruz sanctuary in Caravaca
- Crossing the Encarnación Strait between medieval ruins
- Going all over the beaches and the paths of the Regional Salt
- Lake and Sand Park in San Pedro
- The ship cruise around Mar Menor
- Documentation and travel cartography
- Accommodation 8 nights in rural hostelry and hotel 4 * with breakfast
- The transfer of luggage between lodgings
- The transfer from Caravaca de la Cruz to San Pedro del Pinatar (day 6)
- Bike rental (optional)
- The price of tickets and visits to monuments
- The Mar Menor ferry ticket
- Transfer Mula – San Pedro del Pinatar
Arrival at Murcia.
Night at 4* Hotel.
54 km. 5h on bike. Difficulty: Medium. Murcia-Molina de Segura-Albudeite-Mula.
The first ride will allow you to reach Mula by the greenway. First through the orchards around Murcia and along the Segura river. After passed by some interesting heritage sites you will reach the greenway in direction to Mula. The sceneries change : from the green orchards you will pass to the dry and desertic badlands between Molina de Segura and Albudeite. Arriving at Mula, the scenery change again with the vision of oranges, peaches and apricot trees. One night accommodation in a rural inn.
31 km. 3h30 on bike. Difficulty: Medium. Mula-Pliego-Mula
Our second day by bike will be in the Orchard of Mula to the town in Pliego. Going through Calle del Agua (Water’s street) and going up the castle will be the high points during this stage among bitter oranges, flowering almond trees and millenary irrigations ditches. One night accommodation in a rural inn.
45km. 5h on bike. Difficulty: Low. Mula-Bullas-Cehegín-Caravaca de la Cruz. Optional loop Argos river valley : +16 km.
During this stage, you keep following the Pilgrim’s Greenway, La Vía Verde del Noroeste, from Bullas to Caravaca, making a stop in Cehegín to visit its old quarter. To way out from Bullas, you have to follow the same indications than last stage to reach the Vía Verde del Noroeste. Once on the old railway, you will ride straight on the Vía Verde until Cehegín. In Cehegín, you will make a detour to climb to the old quarter and discover the village (Stop at the Tourism Office for a map). Before continue towards Caravaca, you will ride through the Argos river meadow, surrounded by carnations and olive fields. After returning to the Vía Verde del Noroeste, you will finally reach the city of Caravaca de la Cruz, end of your stage. Night at a 4* Hotel.
49km. 4h cycling. Difficulty: Medium. Caravaca-Archivel-La Encarnación-Caravaca
The last day inland is great for discovering the rural and natural surroundings of Caravaca. Along irrigation canals and elm groves, the route will take you from one spring1 to another, passing by Roman and Christian sanctuaries, unique places where paleolithic, Argaric, Iberian, Roman and medieval traces coexist. Following some very calm roads, you will discover a changing landscape which just makes you want to relax and stare at it. Transfer at the end of the day from Caravaca to San Pedro del Pinatar. Night at 4* Hotel.
Caravaca to San Pedro del Pinatar
Transfer from Caravaca to San Pedro del Pinatar with enough time to enjoy the beaches and the seashore.
55 km. 5h on bike. Difficulty: Very low. San Pedro del Pinatar-Santiago de la Ribera. La Manga del Mar Menor-Los Alcazares- San Pedro del Pinatar.
Mar Menor is the largest coastal lagoon in southern Europe. Its coast and sea are richly diverse. You will have a complete view on this diversity, because, after a pleasant cruise on a ship from Santiago de la Ribera to La Manga del Mar Menor, the route will take you along the whole coastline of the lagoon, passing by salt lakes, marshes and fine sand beaches. It’s a complete tour in order to get to know properly this unique Mediterranean settlement. Night at a 4* hotel.
20 km. 2h on bike. Difficulty: Very low. San Pedro del Pinatar-Lo Pagán- San Pedro del Pinatar.
The last day will be the occasion to discover the Regional Salt Lake and Sand Park in San Pedro del Pinatar, a highly appreciated environment by the marine birds. Riding along paths and seaside promenades, you will visit the most emblematic corners of this privileged park where you cannot miss the mudbaths and the views over Punta de Algas, a natural passage between the lagoon and the Mediterranean sea. Night at a 4* hotel.
End of Trip
Travelling back home.
- The green orchards of Murcia
- The old quarter of Mula with its churches and monastries
- The peacefull on the Vía Verde
- The vineyards of Bullas, typical of the Mediterranean landscapes
- The inmensity of the Llanos del Cagitan flatland
- The impresive holy Cross Sanctuary of Caravaca de la Cruz
- The narrow valley of Ricote
This is a self-guided route. Therefore, you may start the route whenever you please. No hurries, no schedules, we only need to know the date. A route in complete freedom.
|From||Price (per person)||Book|
|7 days||From 410€||Book now!|
|8 days||From 465€||Book now!|
Prices based on 2 sharing a double room with breakfast. 2 people minimum.
Optional: single supplement from: +150€/pers. (7 days) // Half-board from: consult
The price includes:
- Documentation and maps of the trip
- Accommodation for seven or eight nights at inns and 4* hotels with breakfast
- Luggage transfer between your accommodations
The price does not include:
- Tickets price for visiting monuments and museums
- Personal insurances
- Bicycle rental
- Lunches and dinners
Bicycle rental rate: the bicycles are fully equipped (luggage carrier, 1 saddle bag, 1 lock, 1 helmet, 1 repair kit with a pump and 1 map holder).
- Bicycle rental: 7 days: 92€
- Electric bicycle rental: 7 days: 140€
How to get there?
- Which airport should I fly to? : Alicante, Murcia-San Javier.
- Nearest train station: Murcia del Carmen.
- Transfer options from airport: Consult.
- Transfer options from train stations: Consult.